[f_minor] S. Jobs on G. Gould

Kpapademas at aol.com Kpapademas at aol.com
Thu Oct 27 00:51:51 EDT 2011

And from "Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson: "Bach, he declared, was his
favorite classical composer. He was particularly fond of listening to the
contrast between the two versions of the 'Goldberg Variations' that Glenn Gould
recorded, the first in 1955 ... and the second in 1981, a year before he
died.  'They're like night and day,' Jobs said after playing them sequentially
one  afternoon. 'The first is an exuberant, young, brilliant piece, played
so fast  it's a revelation. The later one is so much more spare and stark.
You sense a  very deep soul who's been through a lot in life. It's deeper and
wiser.' Jobs  was on his third medical leave that afternoon when he played
both versions, and  I asked which he liked better ... 'I like the earlier,
exuberant one. But now I  can see where he was coming from.'
taken from:
_http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/classicalmusic/2011/10/on_ste
ve_jobs_the_computer_and.html_
(http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/classicalmusic/2011/10/on_steve_jobs_the_computer_and.html)