[f_minor] Scriabin

Jörgen Lundmark jorgen.lundmark at mypost.se
Mon Jan 30 06:54:32 PST 2012

Hello Fred,

I can understand your initial reactions to the 5th. It is a very
aggressive and in many ways uncomfortable piece. It took me some time to
come to grips with it, but there is a sonata structure to be heard and a
truly amazing intensity at its high-point. In my personal opinion, it's
a bit strange that Gould did choose the most violent of Scriabin's
sonatas. Still it is, as far as I can tell, the most often played of the
10 sonatas.

It's important to understand that when Gould recorded the work there was
-- as far as I understand it -- no complete cycle recorded.
Unfortunately he seems to have lost interest in the proposed complete
sonata project, as with other romantic repertoire, after a very short
time. It would have been very interesting to hear him play all the later
sonatas.

Regards,
Jorgen